I recently conducted an interview about LinkedIn with Jeena Belil, an attorney who does personal injury and insurance work on Long Island. Jeena shared how she uses LinkedIn and the results she’s seen from using the platform.
Jeena encourages all attorneys to use LinkedIn, and especially to get involved in Groups. For those of you who don’t believe you can get business from LinkedIn, here’s proof that you can.
Jeena got business directly as a result of her participation in a LinkedIn Group. When someone in the Group posted that they needed a lawyer who does what Jeena does, not only did her participation in the Group provide her with an opportunity to see –and respond to- the post, but her previous participation in the Group helped her to get the attention of the individual who posted the request for an attorney. By contributing to Group discussions and providing value, Jeena had already made herself a trusted resource even before the request was posted.
Here are a few of Jeena’s other LinkedIn tips:
- Know who you want to connect with on LinkedIn
- Join Groups that contain your target market
- Follow the Group discussions and contribute where you can by providing information that members of the Group are looking for
- Post useful information to the Group when you think it can be a service to Group members
- Join Groups that are robust and contain substantive discussions
- Don’t be afraid to drop Groups that don’t serve you
- Include your prior positions on your LinkedIn Profile; there may be people in your network who are familiar with you, your work or your previous employer(s) and including that information on your Profile will help them to recognize you on LinkedIn
- Once you’ve joined a few Groups, pay attention to the other Groups LinkedIn suggests for you
- When you identify people you’d like to connect with, look at the Groups they belong to and see whether any of those Groups would work for you as well
If you’d like to hear the whole (approx 20 minute) interview with Jeena, you can listen below:
I'd love to hear about your results with LinkedIn, so leave a comment or contact me!